Top 6 E-Commerce Website Development Platforms You should Know About
The idea for establishing an online presence among companies is booming. With the right tools, even small businesses can pursue eCommerce development with ease & build their digital footprint. At the moment, there are a plethora of eCommerce website development platforms that one can choose from. However, it’s important to remember that although building an eCommerce website isn’t difficult, starting on the wrong platform, could harm your business. Therefore, experts at iTrobes have jotted some of the best eCommerce development platforms that could be perfect for you. Whether you’re launching a new business or taking your physical store online, this article is going to impart useful knowledge in the domain of eCommerce development.
Top 6 Picks for E-Commerce Website development Platforms
One of the most popular platforms of our times, Shopify is a great platform for selling. If your business relies a lot on Facebook or Instagram marketing, Shopify is a great choice. It’s a web application that lets you create an online store very quickly with multiple design templates to choose from. You can further customize these templates so they fit best with your customer needs & are in line with your branding. It’s great for B2C selling as it supports a wide range of credit cards, making payment processes easy globally. Providing the complete CMS gives the owner the power to handle the layout and the functionality of the store. It also lets the owner manage the store through the Shopify mobile apps, making it great for business owners who often have to work on the go.
- Easy to use and set up, even for beginners
- A wide range of themes and apps are available for customization
- Secure hosting and reliable performance
- Excellent customer support
- Monthly subscription fees and transaction fees can add up
- Customization options may be limited for developed users
Elevate Your Online Store With Us
2. Magneto Commerce
One of the most widely used platforms in the world, Magneto is another great choice. An open-source, on-premise solution, It is historically preferred by businesses that have invested heavily in IT already. Although it has a reputation of being complicated, it offers significant benefits that have ensured it’s on our list. It is widely famous for its usability, features, and infrastructure. Versatile content management system, advanced SEO feature, mobile-friendly configuration option, third-party integration flexibility, customizable security, etc are all included within Magneto.
- Highly customizable and flexible, suitable for large and complex e-commerce websites
- Scalable and can handle high traffic and large product catalogs
- Open-source platform with a large community and extensive third-party extensions
- Robust SEO capabilities
- High development and maintenance costs, especially for small businesses
- Requires technical expertise and may not be beginner-friendly
- Hosting and server requirements can be demanding
- Limited customer support compared to hosted platforms
Wix has emerged only stronger over the years. It is currently a major powerful option with the eCommerce space, especially popular among small businesses and solopreneurs. The features have also significantly evolved in the past few years and now offer a variety of useful options. Multiple channel integration, dropship, abandoned cart recovery, print-on-demand option, etc. are all available with Wix. SEO issues have also been resolved with the latest updates. It’s a great platform for beginners operating on a small scale. But as you grow, you might need to switch as the storage capacity isn’t as high as other platforms.
- Easy-to-use drag-and-drop website builder
- All-in-one platform with hosting, domain, and security included
- Suitable for small to medium-sized companies with basic e-commerce needs
- Good customer support
- Limited customization options compared to other platforms
- Less flexibility and scalability as your business grows
- May not be ideal for large product catalogs or advanced e-commerce features
BigCommerce is one of the top choices by any eCommerce development company. Its powerful product search engine makes it an apt choice for bigger retail brands. It is popular for its low-cost ownership and very flexible APIs. It providers you with a set of eCommerce tools with multiple features & options. Both, B2B and B2C customers can interact with this platform with ease as it makes it possible to create a variety of catalogs or price lists targeting different customer groups. The interface also allows for customization without having too much coding know-how. By simply using customizable templates one can design a store, catalog, sell and market various products. It is great for those without too many web dev skillsets but also lets tech freaks tweak the CSS & HTML.
- Feature-rich platform with built-in marketing and SEO tools
- Scalable and convenient for businesses of all sizes
- Strong security and performance
- Good customer support options are available
- Higher pricing plans compared to some other platforms
- Customization options may be limited compared to open-source platforms
- Some advanced features may require technical knowledge or developer assistance
Squarespace is a friendly and easy-to-use platform that is great for non-coding background beginners to create beautiful & functional websites. Famous for its designs, this all-in-one platform has everything you need for running & growing your business. Multiple tools and features along with hosting packages are all made available to you. It is great for users that require an online store with better style & substance than the regular shopping-cart focused approach. You can offer your customers a unique, brand-identity-driven experience, and is great for businesses competing in a niche market.
- User-friendly interface and visually appealing templates
- Hosting, domain, and security included. Suitable for small businesses and creatives
- Good customer support
- Limited e-commerce features compared to specialized platforms
- Limited payment gateways and shipping options
- Less flexibility for customization and advanced functionality
Elevate Your Online Store With Us
WooCommerce is the top choice for running both eCommerce and affiliate sites under a single roof. This works like a simple WordPress in turning any website into an online store. Extensions for integrating different payment gateways, email marketing, social media, shipping, etc. are all available. If you’re starting small on a limited budget, this is great. For its cost is free and only a few extensions have prices attached. However, likely that you might not need those extensions and the free themes will suffice. For those who are familiar with WordPress, working on this platform will feel easy & comfortable. Just install it, add all your products, set your settings and you’re good to go.
- Open-source platform with a large user community
- Highly customizable and flexible, allowing for extensive functionality
- Integration with WordPress, which is a widely used content management system (CMS)
- Requires more technical knowledge and maintenance compared to hosted platforms
- Setting up and managing can be more complex for beginners
- It may require additional costs for hosting, themes, and extensions
Considerations for Choosing the Right E-commerce Website Development Platforms
E-Commerce development services come in all shapes & sizes. Different eCommerce website development platforms are suited for different kinds of businesses, depending on specific brand requirements. So even though, we listed some of the best ones above, the right one for you will rely on various factors. It is imperative to choose one of the eCommerce development platforms that has all the right tools and is flexible. If you still have any doubts and want to get your eCommerce website development the perfect way, hiring a good eCommerce development company may be a good idea. Look for a partner that understands your business & your brand. Based on your specific requirements a perfect website development plan should be customized.
Experts at iTrobes have years of experience in web development. They have thorough knowledge about all kinds of eCommerce website development platforms & can help you in choosing the perfect one. No matter the size of your business, they have got you covered. Reach out to the team of iTrobes today for some top-level software consulting and get all your doubts cleared by the best in the industry.