The Present And Future Of Web Applications: PHP Development Tools
In today’s day and age, if you want your business to succeed, you most definitely need a website. But the sheer size of the internet can be intimidating, and it can be daunting to jump into the world of web development. Where do you start? What programming languages should you learn? Should you hire someone or build your website yourself? Understanding what tools are out there is a good place to begin. Currently, the most popular ones are PHP development tools, with almost 80% of the world’s websites running on PHP.
What Is PHP?
Whether you’re maintaining a blog, setting up an online store, or building a website for your organization, PHP is the way to go. Rasmus Lerdorf created it as a personal project in 1994 and since then, it has grown to be the most widely used method for developing websites. It originally stood for Personal Home Page (since it was, after all, a personal project), but now has a more technical name: PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor.
An interesting thing to note about PHP is that it wasn’t designed from the start to be a programming language; it developed organically, almost like a real-world language. Consequently, several inconsistencies had to be ironed out. PHP has since gone through several iterations that have fortified it as a scripting language, making it the best choice for web development.
Elevate Your Digital Presence With Expert Web Development
Why Should You Use PHP For Your Projects?
1. It’s Open-Source And Free
There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but PHP is free to download and you can use it as you please. Of course, the code doesn’t write itself, and you will need to put in time and effort to bring your project to fruition. But you don’t have to worry too much!
2. It’s Easy To Learn And Use
If you have never used PHP before, there are a large number of ready-to-use scripts that can help you. PHP development has also grown to include detailed documentation and well-supported frameworks. There are several tutorials and reference materials available that can be beneficial both to seasoned developers and those who are just starting. In addition to this, PHP is fairly simple to learn. It uses a simple syntax that is easy to understand – even if you have zero programming experience.
3. It’s Great For Complex Web Development
A well-known example of software written on PHP is Facebook. The scripting language does a great job of supporting the social network’s intricate environment and complex functionality. WordPress is another example of such software, giving users the ability to build websites without needing to know how to code.
What Are PHP Development Tools?
To increase your programming efficiency, experts have built various PHP development tools to build web applications. The majority of the world now uses these tools to build their websites. They typically consist of an integrated development environment (IDE) and offer functionalities such as code editing, testing, and debugging.
Which PHP Development Tools Should You Use?
There are so many options out there that searching for the right PHP development tools can seem like a daunting task. If you are just starting, you may find that several kinds of software look similar and that it is difficult to tell the difference between them. To make things easier for you, here are the ones most favored by the developer community.
PHPStorm is, by far, the most popular choice. It is particularly useful for novice programmers because it offers features such as code completion and code re-arrangement. This lightweight PHP development tool supports not just various coding frameworks, but also some content management systems such as WordPress.
- Powerful and feature-rich IDE specifically designed for PHP development.
- Excellent code completion, debugging, and refactoring tools.
- Supports integration with version control systems like Git, SVN, and Mercurial.
- Provides seamless integration with popular frameworks like Laravel, Symfony, and Drupal.
- Offers extensive plugin support, allowing customization and integration with third-party tools.
- Can be resource-intensive and may require a powerful system to run smoothly.
- The learning curve can be steep for beginners due to the extensive feature set.
- The full version requires a paid license, which may not be ideal for budget-conscious developers.
This is another PHP development tool that is a good choice for beginners. It simplifies and streamlines your development process with an autocomplete feature. This means that you do not have to remember the names of arguments, functions, and attributes. It also comes with a code validator, making debugging much easier.
- Lightweight and beginner-friendly IDE with a simple and intuitive interface.
- It offers basic features for PHP development like syntax highlighting, code completion, and debugging.
- It Provides support for popular CMS systems such as WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
- Provides a free version with limited features and a paid version with additional functionalities.
- Lacks some advanced features available in other IDEs like PhpStorm.
- Limited plugin ecosystem compared to more popular IDEs. Updates and new feature-outs may be infrequent.
3. Zend Studio
Zend Studio, while being a little more difficult to learn and use, offers an intelligent code editor that makes it easy to index and search your PHP code. Its main advantage, however, is its optimal speed. This is what software giants like Google and Microsoft typically use. You should use this if you are working on a large project.
- Developed by the creators of PHP, providing strong compatibility and integration with PHP frameworks.
- Offers advanced debugging, profiling, and testing tools.
- Supports popular version control systems like Git and SVN.
- Includes features for server deployment and remote debugging.
- Can be expensive, especially for individual developers or small teams.
- Limited plugin support compared to other IDEs like PhpStorm.
- Some users report occasional performance issues.
Netbeans was originally used for Java development but has expanded to include PHP development as well. It is the only popular PHP development tool that supports languages other than English, namely Russian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Chinese. Netbeans is open-source and offers features such as intelligent code completion and a visual debugger.
- Free and open-source IDE with strong PHP support.
- Provides a wide range of features for PHP development, including code completion, refactoring, and debugging.
- Offers integration with version control systems like Git, SVN, and Mercurial.
- The development of NetBeans has slowed down in recent years, resulting in fewer updates and new features.
- Can be resource-intensive and may require a decent system configuration.
- Plugin support is not as extensive as some other IDEs.
5. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is a little different from the other PHP development tools mentioned above. It is a text editor and does not have an IDE. However, it is extremely customizable, allowing you to build the UI that works best for you. This tool also color-codes your code, making it much easier to find and manipulate text. You can use Sublime Text after you’ve got in a few hours of coding.
- Lightweight and fast text editor with a clean and customizable interface.
- Offers a wide range of plugins and packages, allowing extensive customization.
- Supports syntax highlighting, code folding, and multiple selections for efficient coding.
- Cross-platform compatibility.
- Sublime Text is primarily a text editor and lacks some advanced features of full-fledged IDEs.
- Limited debugging and profiling capabilities compared to dedicated PHP IDEs.
- Some advanced features may require manual configuration or the installation of additional plugins.
Elevate Your Digital Presence With Expert Web Development
Seek Out A PHP Development Company For Web Development Needs
It’s not easy to code a website from scratch, but it’s also not easy to entrust your vision to a completely different company. How can you ensure that they will bring your project to life in the way that you want? You might feel uncomfortable about handing your website over to a stranger, but outsourcing your web development has several benefits. Working with a PHP development company will give you access to talented developers who are well versed with different PHP development tools. In addition to developing your website, they will also be able to tell you which software is best for your project.
We at iTrobes offer PHP development, along with a wide array of both back-end and front-end services. Opting for such integrated services can help you streamline and speed up your web development process. You will spend less time on finding and hiring trained specialists, leaving you with more time to focus on what is most important: your idea and your core business. Write to us today to find out how we can help you!